Friday, May 25, 2018

Quiltmaking Secret

For this current king sized quilt, I am using some thrifted fleece I bought a few months ago.  As luck would have it, someone donated a big pile of unfinished lengths that looked like they were going to be lap blankets.  The disadvantage is that they are all burgundy/red.  Most of the thrifted fleece is a dark color and it poses a particular problem: shadowing on light colored fabrics.  I don't want all my quilts to be dark (actually I rarely want any of them to be dark) so I came up with this solution.

A month or so ago I was working on a church committee that was cleaning out a resource area of a neighboring agency.  They were going to throw away a large box of white tshirts from a camp in 2016.  OK, that's not going to happen when I am around so I brought the box home.  My initial idea was to cut the knit into pieces for some easy baby quilts to sell.  That may still happen.

I pulled a few tshirts and cut wide strips about the width I knew I would be sewing for this king sized quilt.
Now when I have a light colored fabric, I just slip a piece of knit under the fabric before I sew it down.  It takes care of the shadow from the dark fleece without adding any bulk whatsoever.  You could say the patch is wearing an undershirt! 




Alright, now you know!  Have a Creative Day, Y'All!

2 comments:

  1. Works for me. There's nothing like found materials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, waddaya know. Clever girl, you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!