Monday, January 22, 2018

Improv Quilts: Street Quilts 3 & 4 -- Strippy Lengths

I am so happy!  I am staying true to my pledge to use the scraps as they are created.  Saturday I pulled all the scraps the last couple of improvisational quilts have produced and sewed 72" lengths of strippy patchwork.  I have enough sections combined with the long single strips I also sewed for 2 quilts 70 x 84 inches.

By Saturday evening I was thinking this must be an addiction.  I just wanted to sew, sew and sew some more pieces together.  It was really thrilling in a very satisfying way.  I'm so pleased I started this series.  It's liberating to pull fabrics, make a few basic design decisions and then go for it!



These 4 strips (above and below) will go together in a quilt.  These are all heavy weight drapery type fabrics.


 These fabrics (next 2 photos) are quilting cottons.  I am debating whether they will be suitable for the street.  What do you think?



I've had a request to show how I sew these into a quilt on the longarm.  I'll try to photograph my steps while sewing one of the next tops and post.

***
from Practicing Extravagant Generosity by Robert Schnase

Christians give because they serve a giving God -- the giver of every good gift, the source of life and love.

"How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me?" ---Psalm 116:12


Improvisational Quilt
2012
Full Size
Private Collection
©Debra L. Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!