Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Machine Quilting & a Vintage Quilt

I've been nervous about starting the machine quilting on this commission tshirt quilt because the customer gave me a microfiber sheet for the backing.  I usually use cotton or cotton sheets.  I didn't know how the microfiber (polyester) fabric would behave.  As it turned out, I wasted a lot of time and mental energy worrying.  It was fabulous!  I was also able to do some fun freestyle stitching.  The "fingers" just appeal so much to me.  I'm going to experiment with them more. 






Recently a friend gave me a vintage bowtie quilt that had been given to her.  She didn't have any use for it.  It intrigues me a bit.  The colors definitely suit me and it's very soft with minor repairs needed.  It's main issue:  it's very lumpy; very lumpy. 
I'm uninterested in taking it apart.  It's hand quilted.  I might consider cutting it up but I know I'm probably not going to do that.  At least not anytime soon.

What would you do with it?



In other news, I was accidentally exposed to COVID on Sunday.  I gathered with Hawkins' family and one of his son-in-laws thought he had a head cold.  By late Sunday night he was running a high fever and 2 COVID tests came out positive immediately.  Monday morning we all got the news.  I'm hoping the vaccines and boosters I took protect me.  Tomorrow is the 3rd incubation day so I'll find out soon enough. 

It's excruciatingly hot here.  Hawkins and I are seriously looking for a cool spot to land in July.  Not the best time for a road trip with gas prices hovering around $4.50/galloon but we've had an offer for a stay in clear and cool Pennsylvania on a lake.  Seems inviting!  Might be worth the trip and besides, I want to see Asheville NC and the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

Join the Conversation! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so obsessive that I would take the quilting stitches out. I would turn it into a summer quilt. Just back it and replicate the original quilting lines with your long arm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!