Friday, May 6, 2022

Beautiful Friends & the Obama Portraits Tour

There is hardly anything in life that can replace the joy of a long beautiful friendship with another woman.   I've been blessed to have a few such friendships.

I met my friend Sandy (on the left below)  in 1981 when my 1st husband and I moved to Owasso OK.  We joined the brand new tiny Presbyterian church that was meeting in the elementary school.  Sandy's husband Charlie (who died a few years ago) was the minister.  Steve and I quickly became instrumental in building that church and I've loved Sandy from the early days until now.  She's been a very positive supporter in my life.  

I met Pat (on the right below) when I worked as a designer for Floor and Decor about 8 years ago.  She and her husband wanted to redo their kitchen and bathroom.  We worked tirelessly with her stubborn husband to get just the right look for them!  Pat invited me to join PEO and we've been good friends since that design adventure. 

When Sandy told me she was coming to town (her daughter lives in a Houston suburb) I knew the 3 of us would enjoy getting together.   And we did!  
We lunched at a quaint neighborhood restaurant in the museum district, visited Hawkins' brother's import store called Surroundings and oohed and aahed at the fine modern and antique goods from South America.   Then with what energy we had left we stopped in at the Museum of Fine Art and viewed the Obama Portraits Tour.



The portraits were fabulous!  Having the portraits in a large open space let them take center stage.  The commentary and information about the artists was very interesting. 

As quilters we were immediately drawn to Michelle's dress.  It was designed as homage to the Gee's Bend quilters.  I love that!  


First Lady Michelle Obama 





President Barack Obama
His background foliage with flowers represents the pertinent places in his life: Kenya, Hawaii & Illinois.   He wanted a very approachable posture that would invite people to look and feel comfortable. 

I enjoyed that the museum had backdrops for picture taking.  Being a bit of a ham, I couldn't resist!


I absolutely love this new boho look I am starting to curate.  So fun and expressive! 




When I picked up Sandy at her hotel I noticed these quilty artworks in the lobby.  Seemed like good indicators for the day!  

Join the Conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!