Monday, February 8, 2021

Destashing Fabrics & Finishing Quilts

Time moves forward. It seems to be changing lately too.  I'm sure it has something to do with Hawkins and our desire to get out and explore the world together.  Toward that end I find myself less and less interested in sewing or doing projects I only halfway care about completing.  

When I was helping my friend unload her storage unit the other day she made an interesting comment:  I've moved past a lot of this stuff and that makes it easier to let loose of it.

That made perfect sense to me.  I have moved past a lot of my gifted stash fabric.  I've used huge quantities of it and I'm tired of it.  Plain and simple.  I've let it "go first" before my favorite fabrics.  I want to sew with my favorite fabrics now. 

I took a good hard look at the fabrics in my (what would be my master bedroom) fabric storage room.  I did a pretty big destashing last summer of miscellaneous (other than quilting cottons) fabrics. There is still a large amount of fabrics I could return to my friend Mary.  Over the years Mary has given me lots of fabrics.  If I return the ones I doubt I will ever use again I will have emptied my room of 4 very large  and 2 large tubs.  I texted Mary and she graciously agreed to accept the fabrics back.  I'll be having an outdoor patio lunch with her this week to return the tubs of fabrics.




I plan to finish the current stack of charity quilt tops (about 30 or 40!) and then I am closing that chapter of my sewing career.  

My current projects continue.  I'm hoping to reach the finish line this week on a few quilts in progress.  


I cannot go to bed tonight until the queen sized scrap bricks quilt is bound!  


I pieced this baby wale corduroy and denim quilt a few years ago.  It needs a few more rows (which I cut on Saturday) to get it to queen size.  It seems like a good camping quilt.  I unearthed a thrifted twin duvet cover from IKEA.  With opened seams it will be the right size for the backing. 


What's hanging over your head?
How do you plan to deal with it?

Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬


4 comments:

  1. Debra...it’s sorta like downsizing your home. I moved from a house where I had the entire basement as my sewing room, into a two bedroom townhome. The first things re-homed was very painful. It’s easier after that. Good luck with letting go. 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s good to clear the decks and make space for what’s to come. If you feel like destashing any of your completed needlepoint pieces, let me know. I finished my plaid shirts quilt and that bin is now empty. I’m back to making baby quilts to donate, and it feels good to work through the supplies I’d set aside for specific projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so “get” moving past things. I’m that way now with all my crazy quilting fancy fabric scraps/chunks, plus the ribbons, threads, and many laces. I’m trying to keep my fabric stash to a minimum, but find that I do need backing fabrics (so off to the thrift store today) for the kids quilts that are my main push this year. I’m sewing the scraps that have been donated to/accumulated at our local Quilts for Kids chapter. It feels good to turn scraps and cast-offs into cute quilts! And easier to manage and control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what direction do you see your quilting taking next, then? BTW, I think the Valentine's weekend trip is a great idea - you even have an extra holiday on Monday, and can avoid that traffic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!