Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Bricks/Coin Quilt: Greyed Blues & Florals

 I have a couple of stacks of possible quilts laying around my studio.  They have various pieces and parts already cut or sewn or both.  I'm on a mission to get them finished into usable quilts.  Granted they have been languishing 8+ years but I can't deny the immediate urge I have to finish them.  So because I can I am following the urge.

I cut out a massive stack of brick pieces (3½ x 6½") from some very ordinary fabrics back in 2014.  It was an effort to purge fabrics and sew some charity quilts.  One box had predominantly greyed blue prints.  From the moment I cut them they've been a design challenge I couldn't really figure out.   

They moved to the top of the stack last week.  I also pulled some lengths of leftover quilt backings that had been sheets and curtains.   I originally thought I'd cut those lengths into more bricks.  Yea, what was I thinking?  I came to my senses yesterday.  I'll alternate the greyed blue bricks with the big floral strips.  

I anticipate the greyed blue bricks sitting on a floral surface.  I'll see how that plays out! 

I need to remember:  Stay in Your Magic Baby!  that includes not making more work and getting some projects finished. 

I did a good amount of meditative stitching yesterday.  I expect to follow up with more stitching today.  I'll likely finish the 10 brick strips.  My plan is a queen size quilt.  I had a pieced backing I pulled out of my stash for this quilt. 


I've gathered a pretty good assortment of scraps I can sew end to end and wind on a cardboard reel for future scrap quilts.  I have a pretty big collection of these strips ready to go so maybe this spring I can clear out more fabrics with some strippy quilts.



Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬

4 comments:

  1. So what are you doing with the sheets and curtains? I like the blues, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These strips are leftover backing pieces when I trimmed their quilts up. Originally sheets & curtains. Quilts I stitched back in the Bentwater days. The blues are growing on me!

      Delete
  2. I'm very interested in how your idea of mixing the grayed blues and florals works out.....I too have a lot of those older grayed blues hanging around. Grayed purples are also a REAL challenge to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I'm hoping to get this one closer to the longarm soon. I have a few tops to quilt before I can quilt this one. Grayed any color is a tough challenge.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!