Saturday, October 24, 2020

Patchwork Duster

 And just like that I sat down and remade a dress into a duster!  I must be on a roll. 

I sewed this dress maybe 2 years ago when I was last on my patchwork clothes cycle.  

I used a 90s oversized blouse and added gathered tiers.  I wore it with a wide belt and it was cute but it looked too much like a square dance outfit to me.  I used to square dance, so I know these things.  Ha! Ha!  


Thankfully I have dropped the hips. Now I am back to looking like a string bean. 

Yesterday all of a sudden the wind picked up something fierce and blew a ton of leaves into my house.  I kid you not. 

As I was scrolling through Instagram this week I saw this clever idea for turning a shirt into a jacket.  I went scurrying into my closet to see what shirt I had that I could transform.  Turns out I thought this dress might be more fun.


Then I looked through my coveted fabrics (the ones I have saved for myself) and found some jelly rolls a friend had given me.  Yep, those were perfect! 

In some of my most decisive design moments Ever, I cut this dress down the front, pulled out the 2½" strips & pleated those babies into the most lovely ruffles Ever.  And I mean Ever.

I hand pleated them.  Watch out.  There may be more.  That was so relaxing & satisfying.

Trick/hint:  I starched the strips lightly so they folded nicely when they went under the presser foot.  I kept an even pace so it was easy to fold, stitch, fold, stitch my way along the length of fabric.  










I can hardly control my excitement.  This duster is going to be so versatile with everything I own:  dresses, jeans, my birthday suit.  You name it.  I've already pulled out a stack of accessories I can wear with it too. 

Oh Fun!
Join the Conversation!
💬💬💬


5 comments:

  1. Well, that looks totally different now! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzier. At first, I thought no, but then, you pulled it off. Great Duster. Love the ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm slowly embracing ruffles on my clothes. My mother always tried to dress me in ruffles when I was small but I wouldn't have it!

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!