Saturday, January 18, 2020

Strip Pieced Costume Fabric


The yardage for Laura's vest is stitched.  It's quite lovely in a black textural way! 

As I was drifting off to sleep last night I remembered a strip pieced jacket I sewed.   It was a commission and the owner picked out all the fabrics.



Quilted jackets are certainly not new but they seem to be perennial favorites.  Last year I had the idea of kitting fabrics for sewers to make their own jackets.  Last night I had the idea of quilted yardage for jackets.

The big assumption is someone would sew a jacket.  Probably too big of an assumption.  They could turn the fabric into something else of course. 

This could be exciting!  It wasn't on the 2020 "Stay Focused" Plan but it's early, I could sneak it in.  At least try a few kits & see if they sell. 

Please Join the Conversation!

Is a quilted jacket kit a good idea?
💬💬💬


3 comments:

  1. Debra, your creative juices are running high! What kind of diet are you on? Tell us more. I have been working hard (evidently not hard enough) to lose weight (44# so far, aiming for 50#) but the scale refuses to budge any further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you know enough people, or can advertise to them, who either quilt and sew or sew but don't quilt, I think this could be a great idea. The only way to know is to make up a few and see how they sell. Or get your own jackets in HIGH end stores where you get paid enough to make one of a kinds. I like Laura's stripped piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lazy about fitting people's figures. If I were to stitch jackets for stores, I'd have to take into consideration figures. With flat goods, the sewer could do her own thing. And, if she didn't want the yardage for a jacket, she could use it for pillows or totebags or whatever. I do think the idea has some merit. The trick is making it affordable.

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!