Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Remembrance Quilt: Backing

My quilt nailed to the wall is turning out to be a handy design wall.  I should probably take it down and replace it with a white quilt.  Maybe soon. 

I've cut and pieced the backing for the remembrance quilt.  I knew immediately the selection of Hawaiian shirts would work splendidly as the backing.  I did have to unstitch the front plackets and hems for some additional width and length.   I'm not fond of that task but it went quickly enough.

Remembrance quilts use a variety of clothes and therefore a variety of fabric contents.  I take it all in stride; many years of sewing has given me confidence to combine fabrics successfully. 





I will study the clothes for the quilt's front before cutting them.  This is always the challenge: these clothes are "one of a kind".  I want to respect that and make their story perfect for the recipient.

Join the Conversation!
Do you ever hesitate with fabric decisions knowing the fabric is limited or has some personal significance? 
💬💬💬

2 comments:

  1. I was told, way back in the 70s, that if all the fabrics were about the same weight, it would all work out, and I've used that rule successfully for a long time. I'm still mind boggled at the thought of nailing a quilt to the wall. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I follow that advice too.
      It's really easy. Just climb up on a stool with a hammer and some small nails & pound those babies into the wall. Problem solved! (My quilts aren't sacred!)

      Delete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!