Sunday, January 19, 2020

Out and About Houston: PEO/Junior League of Houston Luncheon

I've moved my IPhone to another part of my bedroom during the night.  I read recently about the dangers of Wifi and keeping the phone on the nightstand so in an act of compliance I moved the phone.  When the alarm goes off I have to get out of bed to turn it off.  I'm not totally keen to the practice but I'll give it some time.

My dogs have started a routine of crying at my bedroom door about 6:30 AM which is an hour before I planned to wake up.  Thinking they need to go outside I reluctantly get up.  Once I'm up I have to go to the bathroom.  One of the dogs goes out and the other one jumps into the warm spot on my bed.  I have to wrangle him to move.  By this time I realize I am not falling back to sleep. 

This morning I decided the warm spot and the gentle dip of my mattress felt really good.  I stayed in bed past the alarm.  The dogs joined me long enough to be sure I didn't fall back to sleep.  Then they jumped off and paced back and forth by my bed.  I have a small bedroom so that really means they crowded up by the bed and pushed my elbow repeatedly to get me to move.  There's no opportunity to deviate from habits in this household.  Dogs keep me accountable. 

Then we played a game of back and forth between the front and the back door.  This is mainly with my pit bull Elvis.  He's quite definite in his demands.  My other dog Beav who is basically blind keeps a very strict routine.  He only goes out when it's necessary.

Opening the door and hearing the heater come on convinced me to stay in this morning.  I feel like I need a day off from the world and work.  I'll listen to the church service via the internet.  Actually while I am typing this post. 

I am thoroughly enjoying my little kitchen dining area.  I have a narrow window on either side of my table and the morning sun gently shines in.  It's turning into a favorite spot to eat and read.  When Laura visited Wednesday she complimented the cozy and inviting feel of the space.  Today I put on my new patchwork bathrobe so I could enjoy it's coziness for a few hours.  Normally I dress immediately upon rising in the morning. 


I look like a linebacker but saintly with the sun shining on me!   I've lived in very cold climates in the past.  I'm acting like it is cold outside.  

Yesterday I attended a PEO luncheon with two chapter friends.  PEO is a philanthropic educational organization for women.  Our main goal is to empower women through educational opportunities.  I was initiated in January 2019.  This was my 1st Founders' Day Luncheon and my first visit to the Junior League of Houston who hosted the event.  It's a gorgeous traditionally appointed setting; very feminine and elegant.  I loved it but I can't see myself living in such style.  I'm more about shabby chic and collections and dust and chipped thrifted items and beds with a little slump.  




The Ladies Room wallpaper was gorgeous!

Photo of Junior League of Houston, Inc - Houston, TX, United States

Photo of Junior League of Houston, Inc - Houston, TX, United States

I lifted these images from the internet.  I'm sad to write I couldn't find any images of the wonderfully fabulous collection of porcelain bird figurines given to the League by a patron.  

Image may contain: 3 people, including Pat Morford Smith and Debra Dixon, people smiling, people standing

My friend Pat (left) I met when I was working for Floor and Decor.  I designed her kitchen remodel and we became friends.  She invited me to join PEO.  Nancy (left) is the current President.  She's a physics professor at the local junior college. 

This is fun information:  almost all of our outfits are thrifted!   I thought I had thrifting down to a fine practice until I met Nancy.  She's the undisputed Queen.  At her last teaching position she had a 6 store route mapped out from the classroom to her house!   She was instrumental in finding all the baskets for our Christmas Bean Soup fundraiser for 50¢ or less.   I asked her if her skirt was thrifted and she sheepishly told us she'd bought it off the pilates clearance rack for $30; a fortune over what she normally spends for clothes.   Pat is wearing a thrifted knit dress with her thrifted Chico's jacket.  Seriously, what would we do without Chico's jackets?

I'm head to toe in thrifted clothes.  My kimono is an Eva Mendez piece.  I didn't even know she was designing clothes but what the heck, it's very pretty.  It's velvet with flat sequins. (One lady asked me if I had gotten it on a trip abroad!) The scarf has a rough texture with silver embroidered flowers on the ends.  I like the contrast.  My skirt is a sheer knit in a patchwork print; blues, pinks, peaches (my colors).  The slip goes to the knees and then the bottom half is ruffled.  Very feminine and lovely. Button front Talbot's cotton sweater is under the scarf.  I was wearing turquoise patent leather heels the color of Nancy's blouse.  My only criticism is I wish I'd put my hair up.  I'm at the stage again of thinking about what to do with it.

We had a choice of luncheon entrees so I ordered the vegetarian plate.  My friends at the table were jealous!  I was surprised!  It was delicious.

Image may contain: food

Saturday in Houston.  Always full of fun adventures!  I love living in Houston.

Join the Conversation!
What's your best thrifted outfit? 
💬💬💬







3 comments:

  1. You all three look elegantly philanthropic. =) My thrifted clothes look like jeans and t-shirts. LOL I could live in that lifestyle happily - if I had lots of money and housekeepers to take care of it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The courtyard, yes; but, the rest, no. I need more creative clutter around me.

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoyed your day at home. I always find them rejuvenating. It looks like you found the perfect group of friends. You’re all thrifting superstars.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!