Friday, October 4, 2019

Rayon Twin Quilts

Necessity is the mother of inventions, right?  My storage room is overflowing and I need some of my containers back and a little space between my shelves!  So, I looked through the containers and decided the 1st one to be emptied would be the rayon Hawaiian shirts and some miscellaneous vintage blouses and gathered skirts.  The batting is made from thrifted fleece blankets and scraps I fused together.

Rayon fabric can be a pain to sew but it's very cozily luxurious when quilted.  The colors are vibrant too.  So, I've embarked on a series of rayon quilts sewn with my strip quilting method.  The strips are wider than usual; both for speed and to enjoy more of the large prints.  I like what I see!
These will be donated to the Houston Furniture Bank for No Kids on the Floor Initiative in 2020.  I was told they can use whatever styles I give them so I am really letting my creativity soar!  It feels good too!




This quilt is now off the longarm and ready for binding.  The backing is pieced from men's shirts.


The leftover strips and backing from the 1st quilt have been moved into the next 2 quilts.  I'll keep doing that until I deplete my rayon supply.  One thing great about rayon: it rips!  I've been using that feature to my advantage on these strips.  



I'm unsure what to do with all the leftover notions.  I don't think I will need them anytime soon.  Maybe a grab bag?  

I've saved a big pile of ripped scraps for raw edge work but I am even 2nd guessing those scraps.  Sometimes I just have to say Good Bye. 


Please Join the Conversation!  I'd love to hear from you! 
💬💬💬

5 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing here....it SO satisfying to see something repurposed into a useful and beautiful product. You and your machine make magic happen! Those bright quilts are sending such positive vibes out into our troubled world. Bless you. I love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so kind to compliment my work! I love the freedom to just wing it and having wild and crazy prints makes the process fun! I'm working under the premise now: it all goes together! LOL!

      Delete
  2. These are such bright and cheerful quilts! They’ll bring smiles to their recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm being ruthless with the stash! I looked through some boxes last night with supplies I must have collected for crazy quilting. I doubt I will get back to CQ any time soon. I have 4 good sized wall hangings already pieced if I get the urge.
    I'm thinking of taking the scissors to a bunch of that fabric and just get happy with some big patchwork strippy quilts. I seriously need to downsize so I might as well have fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's how you'll have to quilt the truck quilt. The seams up and down and intersections should be avoided, but horizontal should be okay, staying away from intersections. My younger son's activities messed up my plans for finishing it yesterday, so I'll do it when I get back in mid-October and get it out to you that third week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!