Monday, May 14, 2018

Ten Years Later and Lots of Washing

This bad boy followed me home recently. At one time it was a vivid quilt but since it's many washings and hard love, it's faded and torn.  It had some help from a well meaning dog too.  But, it's loved and the owners would like to have it repaired; even if it is just a bunch of patches on the blocks; like a bunch of patches.  I think I'll just replace it with a bigger quilt.  Laura tells me Brent likes to roll up like a burrito and this quilt is just not big enough for the two of them. 

I thought about repairing it & then I waxed nostalgic.  There are some clothes fabrics in here from Brent's junior high years and some of his dad's casual shirts.  It's mainly composed of 1990s fabrics.  The back is a combination of Indonesian fabrics from my short stay there in 1999. 

A few months ago when they cleaned out their clothes closet they gave me 1st dibs.  I culled a bunch of Brent's plaid shirts.  I think I'll clean out my tropical print rayon fabrics for the backing & add plaid for the front.  I guess it will be king sized. 



I've just about given up cotton batting.  Polyester fleece works so well and I can buy it on special at JoAnns when I can't find it thrifting.  


Dogs!


I pieced these blocks onto a foundation.  The foundation held up well but the cottons, well, they didn't fare so well.  

I wonder how long it will take me to get in the mood to work on this project. 

3 comments:

  1. If they really want that one back, maybe it can be part of the inside? It has definitely been well-loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would “appliqué“ the best pieces onto a background...like your collges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are already working on this, as I saw on your most recent post. Debra, you amaze me, tackling such big projects!! This is such a labor of love for you - I'm sure it will be beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!