Friday, January 5, 2018

Improv Quilts 2018, no. 3 Preparations

I did all the preparation for this quilt as Hurricane Harvey was striking Houston.  I had to put it aside for paid commission projects.  It's been waiting patiently.  Yesterday I was able to get it to the binding stage.

The backing is sewn predominantly from cotton shirts and some very eclectic prints I had in my stash.  Some fabrics are just better uncut as much as possible.  They seem to work well for pieced backings. I like pieced backings even though they take longer to sew; but, they give a nice reversible feature to the quilt without too much effort.

By noon I had a good section finished.  Here it is on the longarm.


I worked until about 9 PM to get the rest of the strips sewn.  I'm happy to see some of these fabrics sewn and serving their final useful purpose.   The straight line quilting works so well it may be much further into 2018 before I make good on my resolve to branch out with other machine quilting designs.







I will be offering this quilt for sale in my etsy shop sometime later in the month.  

6 comments:

  1. I have never tried this approach but may give it a try. I have tons of 2.5 inch stops and odd pieces. Love the look and how easy it is to put together. I also love ❤️ pieced backs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I’ve been working on a scrap-busting top, and I thought of tackling the strips next. I’ll have to see how much I can get done before I go back to work on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such beautiful work with these improvisational quilts, Debra. And I really like the straight line quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, your scrap-busting quilts are magnificent! I looked at the Deer top you sent me with an eye for quilting it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, you are the best cheerleader I know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful, Debra, just right for a modern room.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!