Thursday, January 4, 2018

Improv Quilts 2018, no. 2

Yesterday I hit a roadblock with my current commission. I couldn't get the family photos printed. The situation has been solved but it will take a few days for the fabric printed pictures to return to me. In the meantime, I thought I'd take a little time to finish up some lingering projects.

This improv quilt was sewn from some of the leftover scraps of the previous quilt.  If you are familiar with the bread starter recipe that uses a bit from a starter to make many loaves of bread, then that is the concept behind these improv quilts.  The bits or crumbs from the last quilt get folded into the next one.
In this quilt I used a cotton bed skirt for the sashing strips.  I did more reclaiming with 3 pillow cases opened for the backing and a few fleece blankets pressed into service as batting.  It still needs binding.  These are so insanely easy to sew it feels like cheating.  The work, if you can call it that, is sewing the improv strips.

I like how the striped fabric interacts with the patchwork.  There are so many variations on this theme that I am sure I can entertain myself for a year of improv quilts.  That's the challenge for 2018.








I finished Alias Grace last night.  Now I am wondering if I want to sign up for a Netflix account so I can view the miniseries.  From what I understand, there are lots of quilts shown in the shows.


5 comments:

  1. I'm 50-50 on improv quilts, though I use the technique myself often. This one is VERY appealing! Neither the pieced parts nor the sashing stripe gets lost, but they blend nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love improv quilts. I think I've left the disciplined patchwork blocks behind. They feel so tedious and if I am going to sew, I want to have fun. I also feel improv lets me work with my eclectic stash better.

    Long Live Improv! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watch a lot of Netflix, we have subscribed for many years and there is always something good to watch. We like the originals and series, but sometimes I want something with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Plenty of those, too. Love the stripes with the other fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading Alias Grace. The adaptation was well-done, and there are some nice quilts in the series.

    I think you found a great use for that striped fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful blend of fabrics, Debra. I love how you throw yourself into combining fabrics - I would never get anything done because I'd worry about making a blunder. And yet, yours are always very pleasing to the eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!