Friday, December 29, 2017

Thrifting Scores and Darkest Hour


I promised myself I would finish 2017 a pant size smaller.  Over the past few years I've inched up a size or two.  I know now I really have to be vigilant.  I've returned to more of a vegetable based food diet and not much meat at all.  I've never been one to enjoy large amounts of meat and I think that will serve me well in my new resolve to eliminate it from my diet.  Luckily, Gene has similar eating preferences so it's easy enough to go out and eat together.

Yesterday I felt well enough to spend some time away from home.  It was pretty cold for Houston but I had to get the license renewed on my car and run a few other errands so I just bundled up.  One stop at my favorite thrift store netted some very interesting framed posters (and a few pairs of smaller jeans).

They are smartly matted and with heavy frames.  I believe they may have been hanging in a public place.  The frames have big globs of glue on the back.  They are huge (about 3 x 4 feet) , the scale is much too large for my small house, but I envisioned they would be perfect for Brent and Laura's very high-ceilinged house.  I knew they would like the subject and style.  The price was certainly right:  $14.52 & $19.52.  So I called and they wanted them.  Since I had them in my SUV, I delivered them too.  Had a nice visit.



Isn't it crazy the amount of hangars hanging under the posters?  These are all women's dresses.  Look how tightly they are there.

I decided to meet Gene after work for dinner and a movie.   Darkest Hour was very well written and acted.  It chronicles the 4 week history of Winston Churchill's early decision of World War 2 to pull the British into the war against Hitler.   Well worth viewing, especially if you enjoy history.

Here's the trailer:



I've started reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.  I had to toss the last book aside.  It was so slow I lost interest.



Since I am not a TV watcher I didn't know this has been turned into a TV show.  I may have to watch it once I've finished the book.  Atwood has a very subtle sense of humor; one thing I notice is how she pokes fun at the Methodist!  The book is written under the umbrella of patchwork blocks.  The main character is hand piecing a quilt.  It adds a 2nd layer of interest to the story. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debra,
    Good for you, losing some weight! I've been eating low carb since last January and managed to lose about 15 lbs. Feel better, knees don't hurt and nice to wear a smaller size clothes. Unfortunately I've gone off the track over the holidays and, like you, I know I'd better rein it in before things get out of control!
    Hope you're feeling all better after your cold!
    Happy New Year!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for losing weight! I need to find a good place to walk. That's my saving grace, but living in the hills, I dan't have a good place I can do it. It's good that you and Gene have similar eating habits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Joining the Conversation!